5-on-5 Men's Basketball
5-on-5 Men's Basketball Rules
Every game will be officiated by two Basketball Refs, who will call the rules according to International Basketball Association (FIBA) rules. (http://www.fiba.com/basketball-rules)
For rules concerning roster sizes, player eligibility, defaults and other general Average Joe rules, please view the following link: https://www.averagejoesports.ca/brands/ajs/pages/rules/rules-general.php
- All Games are roughly 55 minutes in length, which includes 2 x 20 minute halves, a 5-10 minute warm-up, and a short break at half-time.
- The clock stops for time outs.
- "Stop-time" will be played during the final minute of the 1st half; and during the final 2 minutes of the 2nd half if the difference in score is 12 or less.
- The clock does not stop when a basket is scored.
- All players must wear a shirt with a permanent number (no tape). The number must be: different from the numbers of his/her teammates AND a minimum of 4 tall and proportionally wide so as to be easily visible.
- The colour of the shirt must be the same / similar to those worn by teammates AND different from the colour of the shirts worn by the opponents.
- One player per team will be allowed to play without a number. They will be listed on the game sheet as 0 or blank. If a 2nd player on the same team has no number, they will be allowed to play as 00 and as a penalty the opponents will be awarded 2 free throws. A 3rd such player will not be allowed to play.
- Official games will not start unless both teams have 5 players each. As per referee policy they will not referee a game if this standard is not met or if a game has been forfeited. Teams may recruit players from other teams to avoid a forfeit during the regular season. Teams have 10 minutes after the scheduled start time to assemble their 5 players to begin the game. The clock will start running
Playoffs: During playoffs teams need their rostered players to play unless both teams agree to waive this rule.